I went home recently for my last ever Spring Break as a student. I did this crazy thing called “packing light” and only brought a backpack and my Everlane weekender instead of a suitcase, a duffel bag, and three purses. With a week’s worth of clothes also stuffed in, I didn’t have much space for a ton of makeup. Ergo, I was forced to pick some essentials.
1. Make Up For Ever Aqua Cream in 15 Taupe: I love this stuff. I own quite a few colors now but thought this neutral color would be perfect for a quick, long-lasting swipe of color.
2. Kat Von D Tattoo Liner: This is actually the only liquid eyeliner I currently own so it was a given to bring this one along. I don’t love wearing liquid eyeliner daily but this one lives up to the hype and is perfect when I’m wearing glasses and my eyes need a bit more definition.
3. Mac Eye Kohl in Teddy: This tends to be my go-to for tight-lining under my eyelashes. I opt for something a bit darker if I’m doing darker makeup but this is subtle and reliable enough for an every day sort of look. Best of all, it never transfers to my bottom lid!
4. Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz in Dark Brown: I like this – but I don’t love it. As someone who doesn’t necessarily have sparse eyebrows, I don’t really need to spend too much time filling them in. I usually only use this if I’m feeling adventurous with my makeup, otherwise I just stick to a quick swipe with a tinted gel.
5. Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer in Chantilly: Oh, where would I be without this stuff? This is actually my third tube of this concealer (and in my third shade – I don’t know what I was thinking when I first bought it in Honey). Although Chantilly is slightly lighter than I’d usually go for with a concealer, I actually find it to be perfect for me. As suggested by the name, the concealer is brightening and creamy so it can blend out easily and cover up any dark spots or blemishes. Sometimes I wonder if I’ll ever love another concealer ever again.
6. Nars Blush in Douceur (unavailable, other shades here): I believe this color has recently been discontinued which is an absolute shame. Although it seems like there are many dupes for it from other brands, I hate knowing I’ll have to eventually leave my beloved Nars formulation behind. Douceur is not your typical spring-y blush color but it is definitely the perfect blush for me or any other pale girls who aren’t quite sure how to pull off bright blush shades. Luckily, I bought this blush fairly recently so I think we still have a long future together.
7. Jouer Mattifying Powder Bronzer in Sunswept: I’ve mentioned this before but I’m still trudgin’ on through this bronzer. I like it but I almost wish I’d hit pan already so I can start even thinking about using another bronzer. Nonetheless, it is reliable. My new favorite thing is just adding a bit of bronzer in my crease when I’m reaaally not in the mood to do my eye makeup and, for that, this is perfect.
8. Laura Mercier Hydrating Foundation Primer: I’m a fan of everything Laura Mercier. Although I haven’t had it for too long, I’m really loving this primer (in fact, I sometimes forgo using it just so I can be sure I’ll never run out of it). My only wish is that this could team up with some sort of pore-disappearing magical primer for those days when my pores just refuse to go away. Until then, I’m definitely happy with this guy.
9. bareMinerals bareSkin Pure Brightening Serum Foundation in 02 Bare Shell: I love this foundation so much. It is enough to feel like I’m wearing something but light enough to let my skin breathe. I always opt for it when I’m having a good skin day. My friend Lauren actually gave me this bottle but I’ll definitely be buying a new one when this runs out.
10. Covergirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 Foundation in 810 Classic Ivory: While I adore the bareMinerals foundation, it isn’t always enough. For my not-so-good skin days, I like a heavier (but not heavy) foundation. Besides it just being a great foundation, it also comes at a great drugstore price, and for that reason, it will always be in my makeup bag.
11. Marc Jacobs Beauty Highliner Gel Eye Crayon in 54 Brown(Out): I believe I got this as a 100 point perk from Sephora sometime last year. The color is lovely – it is often my choice of bottom liner. The staying power is also phenomenal. I’m looking forward to trying out some new bright colors of this product for spring!
12. Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Amethyst: Can you tell I was being very lazy with my makeup? Another quick swipe-on eye color option with great staying power. Plus, I’m a sucker for any and all eye products described as “mauve” and I knew I needed to bring at least one option along.
13. Buxom Lash Mascara: I am a convert – I love mini mascaras. I’ve pretty much decided the only high-end mascaras for me have to be minis. I just can’t be spendin’ $30+ on fancy mascaras that have to be thrown away in 3 months! Fortunately, Sephora has answered my prayers and provided me with plenty of samples and 100 point perks. I get to try all of the mascaras without breaking the bank. As for this one, I like it. It isn’t the greatest I’ve ever used but I much prefer it to many of the others I was recently using.
14. Anastasia Beverly Hills Tinted Brow Gel in Granite: I think I’ve said this before but I’ll say it again – if I could only have one product, it would be this. I’ve never tried any other tinted brow gels so I couldn’t say this one is necessarily the best one ever but it hasn’t let me down so far, so why test fate? I could not be without this.
What products are in your makeup bag right now?